Are you prepared for the legal requirements of the Energy Saving Opportunity Scheme (ESOS)?
10th July 2014
The Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) is a mandatory energy assessment and energy saving identification scheme for large undertakings. The scheme applies throughout the U.K. and comes into force on 17 July 2014.
Your business is obligated under ESOS if it is classed as a ‘large undertaking’ i.e.
- Organisations with 250 or more employees
- Organisations with less than 250 employees but greater than €50m turnover and a balance sheet exceeding €43m.
- Part of a corporate group meeting the requirements above.
The requirements 1 and 2 above must be met for two consecutive years in order to be considered a large undertaking.
It is a phased scheme with three main 4-yearly phases. The qualification date for assessing if your business is applicable is the 31 December 2014 of the penultimate year of the phase. Phase 1 runs 06 December 2011 – 05 December 2015.
The main requirements of ESOS are;
- Measure total energy consumption for buildings, transport and industrial activities.
- 90% of total energy consumption must be covered by an energy audit, a display energy certificate, a green deal assessment or a certified ISO 50001 energy management system for each phase of the scheme.
- Report compliance by 5th December 2015.
Mabbett have experts at hand to assist your business meet the legal requirements of the ESOS so get in touch to map out your approach to ESOS compliance with Mabbett today!
Phone Robert Duncan, Senior Environmental Consultant on: 0141 227 2300 or 028 9038 7047.