U.K. Health & Safety Week – Inspiring excellence in health & safety
15th June 2015
Today marks the start of U.K. Health & Safety Week taking place from 15-19 June 2015.
In the 9 month period from April 14 – December 14, 176 work related fatalities have provisionally been recorded in Great Britain, compared with 133 for the previous year (April 13 – March 14). Source: HSE Website Statistics.
At the same time, occupational health cases are on the rise. The latest statistics (2012) show that 2,535 people died of mesothelioma (asbestos-induced cancer) due to past exposure to asbestos, while more than 1.2 million people are suffering from a work-related illness (2013/14). Source: HSE Website Statistics.
Health & Safety Week provides your organisation with an opportunity to reflect upon your health & safety management and procedures to ensure that you are protecting your employees’ health & safety and also complying with applicable health & safety legislation. Click here to visit the U.K. Health & Safety Week website.
Key areas to reflect upon include:
- Are adequate working practices and procedures in place? Are they regularly reviewed?
- Have you identified the hazards in your workplace, undertaken risk assessments and put appropriate control measures in place, where required?
- Are your employees exposed to hazards in the workplace such as chemical, physical or biological agents? If so, do you have an occupational hygiene monitoring programme in place?
- Do you have a regular audit schedule in place to check the effectiveness of your procedures and controls?
- Are your accident statistics improving or increasing?
Our in-house Health & Safety and Occupational Hygiene Consultants can assist you to improve health & safety management in your workplace, consequently reducing your business risks and costs, through services including risk assessments, health & safety audits, staff training, and undertaking occupational hygiene monitoring programmes with improvement solutions, where appropriate.
During 2014, our health & safety legal compliance services aided our clients in identifying over 70 issues of non-compliance, 80 issues where there was potential for non-compliance to occur, and almost 200 opportunities for improvement.
See a difference in your business. It is better to know, plan and do something about issues in your workplace in a controlled manner, and to protect your workers health & safety. Let our health & safety experts help you to address your site’s health & safety compliance issues – before the HSE do!
Contact Omar Khalid, Manager, Health & Safety via email at firstname.lastname@example.org