The deadline is fast approaching – is your business ready?
16th October 2013
The Waste (Scotland) Regulations 2012 come into effect on 01 January 2014 – is your business ready?
What does my business need to do to comply?
From 01 January 2014:
- All businesses in Scotland regardless of their type and size will have to present metal, plastic, glass, paper and card for separate collection. These materials (known as ‘dry recyclables’), will be banned from going to incineration or landfill, so your waste contractor should be sending these materials for recycling.
- Food businesses (except in rural areas) which produce over 50kg of food waste per week are to present that food waste for separate collection.
Further to the introduction of this legislation in May 2012, The Scottish Government published an Action Plan earlier this month entitled, ‘Safeguarding Scotland’s Resources.’ This Action Plan is aiming to cut all waste in Scotland by 7% by 2017 and 15% by 2025 and to improve competitiveness and could save businesses billions of pounds (Source: Scottish Government).
How Mabbett can assist?
Mabbett has a team of technical professionals who can provide guidance and implementation support on the new regulations to include:
- Advice on waste contracts and waste segregation,
- Conducting legal compliance audits, and
- Staff support and awareness training.
Click here to learn more about our waste management services.
Contact Nicola Gribble on: 0141 227 2302 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to discuss how Mabbett could support your business.