Belfast based businesses identify combined savings of over £320,000 as a result of improved resource efficiency and management through participation in the BITES programme.
Mabbett Approach and Delivery
Funded by Belfast City Council, Business Improvements through Environmental Solutions (BITES) is a business improvement programme, focused on competitiveness and sustainability through improved resource efficiency and environmental management. Mabbett were commissioned, and delivered the two year programme.
Mabbett targeted companies from across a range of sectors to include: construction, leisure, manufacturing, professional services (design, legal and architectural), real estate and IT.
- initial mini-audit of operations to highlight opportunities for improvement and action plan.
- a series of business improvement workshops (e.g. in environmental management, water, energy, waster, logistics and green procurement). These workshops are aligned with the IEMA Foundation Certificate in Environmental Management.
- one-to-one implementation support to identify and implement site specific action plans.
- an annual Awards Ceremony for successful participants, including in each year a closely-contested special prize to the ‘Most Improved Company’!
One-to-one support provided under the available one-to-one implementation support included:
- development and implementation of waste management strategies and recycling.
- focused site energy and water audits.
- development of Key Environmental Performance Indicators (KEPIs).
- development of the building blocks of an EMS.
- design and delivery of staff environmental awareness presentations.
- development of environmental and green office policies.
On completion of the BITES programme the participant businesses benefited from a range of cost and environmental savings as noted below:
- combined cost savings of £320,000.
- over 1000MWh of energy savings.
- almost 40 tonnes of materials eliminated from use.
- 172 tonnes of waste diverted from landfill and recycled.
- over 200 tonnes of landfill reduced.
Furthermore the participant companies witnessed the following business improvement benefits as a result of programme participation:
- development of an environmental management system to BS 8555 Level 3.
- improved environmental awareness through successful completion of the IEMA Foundation Certificate Course in Environmental Management.
- development of a monitoring and measurement system for resources to manage and control consumption moving forward.
To find out more about how Mabbett can work with you, please get in touch.