- +44 (0) 141 227 2300
Aluminium and Plastic Systems identify £2,730. reduction in energy costs
Aluminium and Plastic Systems (APS), stockholders and distributors of aluminium and plastic systems, based in Lisburn, Northern Ireland, participated in the cohort of the award winning Business Improvement Programme ‘BITES.’ The programme is delivered by Mabbett and open to companies in the following council areas: Belfast, Carrickfergus, Lisburn and Newtownabbey.
APS recently achieved registration to ISO 9001 and were keen to learn more about environmental management systems as a means of reducing resource related overhead costs and demonstrating to customers, suppliers and stakeholders, that APS are committed to effective environmental management.
Mabbett Project Approach and Delivery:
The programme is delivered through a series of business improvement workshops, Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) Foundation Certificate Course in Environmental Management and bespoke 1-to-1 implementation support to include a baseline audit.
During the baseline audit, Mabbett in partnership with APS noted the following resource efficiency improvement opportunities:
- improved energy efficiency and management.
- improved waste management to include: increasing recycling rates and competitive tendering by waste management suppliers.
- improved measurement and monitoring of resource consumption and costs to include water and transport.
Results from participation in BITES:
- Identified cost savings of: £2,730. through improved energy efficiency and management. Mabbett undertook a dedicated energy survey and noted the following opportunities which could result in annual year-on-year cost savings of £2,730. if implemented to include: upgrade lighting to energy efficient lamps; look at better heating controls; install timers on appliances; compressed air leak survey, and turn off campaign for lights and PCs.
- Improved waste management particularly hazardous waste.
- Development of Monitoring and Measurement data to understand resource costs and better manage them moving forward.
- Development of an Environmental Management System to BS8555 Level 3.
Feedback on BITES:
Stephen O’Neill, Operations Manager commented on his participation in the programme, “The BITES programme has triggered a complete review of our companies environmental performance. I found the BITES programme informative, well structured, and presented in a positive, professional and friendly manner. BITES has been a very worthwhile business initiative and I would have no hesitation recommending this programme.”