- +44 (0) 141 227 2300
- 29 August 2019
Legionnaires’ disease is a form of pneumonia caused by the bacterium Legionella pnuemophila. The disease was first identified after a convention of the American Legion in Philadelphia in 1976, resulting in 12 deaths. Legionnaires' disease is one of a group of diseases with those most at risk including smokers, alcoholics, and people suffering from cancer, diabetes, and chronic respiratory or kidney disease. Healthy people can also be infected. Legionella bacteria are widespread in natural sources of water including rivers, streams, ponds and may even be found in soil. They are also found in many recirculating and hot and cold water systems. Outbreaks of Legionella disease have occurred in or near large building complexes such as hotels, hospitals, offices and factories. Cooling towers such as those that form part of an air conditioning system can represent a particular hazard because they readily generate fine water droplets and there is an air current to carry them away.
On completion, delegates will:
- have a better understanding of where Legionella occurs.
- identify those at risk.
- be aware of the conditions in which Legionella thrives.
- be aware of preventative measures to combat Legionella Disease.
- know the legal duties and what to do in the event of an outbreak.
- Legionella pneumophila Habitat
- Preventing Legionnaires’ disease
- The Law and Legionella
- The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974
- The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) Regulations (2002)
- The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999
- The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences (RIDDOR) Regulations (2013)
- The Notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Regulations (1992)
- The Approved Code of Practice (L8); The Control of Legionella Bacteria in Water Systems
- Enforcement, Penalties
- Management of Legionella and appointing a Responsible Person Risk Assessment
- Controlling and monitoring Legionella: hot and cold water systems/showers
- Other risk systems: humidifiers/spa baths (Jacuzzi’s)
- Relevant course exercises – case study scenarios to reinforce course learnings
To register or for more information contact our Training Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0141 227 2300.