- +44 (0) 141 227 2300
Streamlined Energy and Carbon Reporting (SECR)
The Streamlined Energy and Carbon Reporting (SECR) policy was implemented on 1 April 2019, when the Companies (Directors’ Report) and Limited Liability Partnerships (Energy and Carbon Report) Regulations 2018 came into force, following the early closure of the CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme which closed on 31 March 2019. Businesses in scope need to comply for financial years starting on or after 1 April 2019.
Does my organisation qualify under SECR?
SECR will retain the data lost from the CRC reporting, and will affect:
- Quoted companies;
- Large unquoted companies incorporated in the U.K. that meet the definition of ‘large’ under the Companies Act 2006;
- Large Limited Liability Partnerships (LLP).
Large companies are defined by the Companies Act 2006 as those which have two or more of the following criteria for the reporting period:
- More than 250 employees
- An annual turnover greater than £36m
- An annual balance sheet greater than £18m
It is important to note that SECR will extend mandatory carbon reporting requirements to an increased number of companies and organisations. Organisations can fall within these three categories even if not for profit or undertaking public activities e.g. universities or NHS Trusts which include companies.
- Companies incorporated outside of the U.K.
- Public sector organisations and,
- Private companies that can provide evidence that they use less than 40,000kWh in a year will not be required to comply.
How Mabbett can support compliance with SECR
If your organisation qualifies under SECR or perhaps you are unsure, Mabbett can offer the following support
- Qualification assessment: to help answer the question does this apply to your business?
- Gap Analysis: review of data and generate action plan.
- Data Gathering: collection, analysis and verification.
- Reporting: ready for insertion to the annual Director’s report.
On completion of reporting, action is required on data capture within reporting to gain maximum value and benefit, to reduce carbon and costs. Mabbett can offer the following services to assist implementation of carbon reduction measures.
- Energy management systems implementation (ISO 50001)
- Identification of energy saving opportunities – audit and recommendations
- Energy and Low-Carbon Engineering Solutions – projects which deliver carbon savings [e.g. boiler design, district heating and CHP feasibility/ design/ implementation].
- Legal compliance auditing and reporting
- GHG emission reporting
- Feasibility studies for energy reduction
- Boost staff competence: training and awareness workshops available
To discuss compliance with SECR contact Jill Cottrell, Senior Environmental Compliance Consultant at email@example.com