- +44 (0) 141 227 2300
Strathclyde Fire & Rescue witness 40% reduction in energy consumption over ten years
Working alongside Mabbett for the last ten years, Strathclyde Fire & Rescue (SFR) is delighted to report that they have witnessed a near 40% reduction in energy consumption through the implementation of ‘sensible energy solutions’ and good energy management.
Mabbett’s relationship with SFR began with an energy survey in 2002 and has gone on to include:
- various design projects for low energy heating, ventilation, air conditioning & renewable energy systems.
- energy monitoring and analysis to assist SFR in determining the effectiveness of measures.
- numerous reviews of new and emerging technologies to assist SFR in evaluating their suitability to the services estate.
- further energy surveys and identification of numerous low/no cost measures to reduce energy consumption.
- development of an energy reduction strategy to align SFR’s own targets with the Scottish Government’s aim of reducing carbon emissions by 42% between 1990 and 2020.
A recent review of energy consumption across SFR’s estate revealed a 39% reduction in energy consumption and an associated 31% reduction in carbon emissions between 1990 and 2011, demonstrating that SFR is well on the way to meeting the ambitious targets set by the Scottish Government.
This was achieved by focusing resources on measures that would make a real difference within limited budgets. Many of the improvements related to heating systems and their control. As a result, the proportion of SFR’s energy consumption associated with heating has fallen from 83% in 1994 to 63% in 2011, saving over £750,000 per year at today’s prices.
Working together with Mabbett, SFR has gained a better understanding of where energy is used across their estate, enabling more effective use of resources to improve systems and make savings. Furthermore, Mabbett has helped SFR evaluate new technologies (e.g. renewables) as they have emerged, ensuring only those technologies which provide cost effective carbon and energy reduction are applied.
Mabbett look forward to continuing to assist the SFR in reducing energy consumption and carbon emissions by implementing sensible energy solutions in the future.
Alex Lane, Property Manager at Strathclyde Fire and Rescue comments, “I wish to thank Mabbett for all their assistance over the years; they have integrated into our property management team and assisted us to design and implement practical solutions to reduce our energy costs. With a 40% reduction in energy consumption this has not only significantly reduced our overhead costs but has also assisted Strathclyde Fire & Rescue in working to meet carbon reduction targets set by the Scottish Government.”