- +44 (0) 141 227 2300
Mabbett provides health and safety support to new distillery in Scotland
Mabbett Project Approach and Delivery:
Mabbett were commissioned by Glen Turner Distillery Ltd (Glen Turner), a newly operating business located in Bathgate, Scotland, to provide technical health and safety consultancy services to assist maintain, develop and improve Glen Turner’s health and safety systems.
Mabbett placed one of our Health and Safety Consultants in Glen Turner on a six month secondment to act as the company’s dedicated on-site health and safety resource. Mabbett provided a wide range of health and safety consulting and training services during the six month secondment to include:
- review and update of Health and Safety Procedures and Work Instructions;
- undertaking Health and Safety audits;
- completing an accident investigation;
- carrying out a site-wide Fire Risk Assessment;
- developing an electronic and hard copy Health and Safety records filing system;
- developing a legionella policy and instigating control measures;
- preparing emergency response procedures and training out to workforce;
- implemented Lock Out – Tag Out (LOTO) and Permit to Work Systems;
- developing a Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) policy and completing COSHH Assessments, and
- carrying out health and safety training on various topics, including LOTO, Permit to Work, Working at Height, PPE, confined spaces, chemical safety and ladder safety as required.
The project resulted in the provision of a trained, on-site, full-time Health and Safety Consultant for an interim period. Mabbett integrated easily and fully into the Glen Turner Team.
This extra resource provided Glen Turner with consistency and continuity and gave Glen Turner confidence that health and safety and compliance actions were being dealt with so site staff could focus on day-to-day operational requirements.
Through the secondment, Mabbett have assisted Glen Turner to better manage their business risks and health and safety regulatory responsibilities. This was done through development, maintenance, review and improvement of an internal Health and Safety Management System tailored to Glen Turners’ business. Mabbett also delivered awareness training for implementation and maintenance of the system moving forward.
Mabbett utilised a wide range of skill sets to support the role, skills which may not have been available from a temporary employee or agency worker.
Furthermore, due to the depth of skills and expertise offered by Team Mabbett, Glen Turner were able to access additional expertise from Mabbett’s environmental and engineering personnel as required during the interim support period.