- +44 (0) 141 227 2300
Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme
The Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) is the U.K. implementation of the European Union 2012 Energy Efficiency Directive, Article 8.
Meeting ESOS requirements
Mabbett can support ESOS qualifying businesses meet the ESOS requirements with the following professional services:
1. Energy Audit and ESOS Compliance Assessment
- Provide a ‘Lead Energy Assessor’ - Mabbett employ members of the Energy Institute’s Register of Professional Energy Consultants (RPEC) and are eligible to conduct energy audits for businesses looking to comply with ESOS.
- Measure your business’s total energy consumption for buildings, industrial processes and transport.
- Provide experienced energy consultants to help identify areas of significant energy consumption (that account for at least 90% of total energy consumption).
- Conduct an energy audit (aligned with BS EN 16427:2012 Energy Audits) to identify energy efficiency recommendations for areas of significant energy consumption.
- Advise on reporting requirements to evidence ESOS Compliance to the Regulator.
2. ISO 50001 Development and Implementation
- Develop and implement ISO 50001 as a compliance route for meeting ESOS requirements click here for more information on our ISO 50001 services.
Overview of ESOS
ESOS is a policy aimed at improving energy efficiency within your business operations. This will increase your business profits and competitiveness as well as reducing your environmental impact. The scheme requires all large ‘undertakings’ in the U.K. to have a mandatory assessment of energy use and energy efficiency opportunities across sites that collectively represent 90% of the total energy use of the organisation.
The ESOS regulations define a large ‘undertaking’ as an organisation that carries out a trade or a business, which includes any corporate group where one or more members of the U.K. group meets the ESOS definition of a large undertaking. An organisation is considered a large undertaking if it:
- Employs 250 or more people; OR
- Employs fewer than 250 people, but has an annual turnover in excess of €50 million (~£40 million) and an annual balance sheet in excess of €43 million (~£34 million); OR
- Is a part of a group that includes at least one entity that meets either of the criteria above.
To comply with ESOS regulations all qualifying businesses are required to have an ESOS Assessment undertaken OR demonstrate compliance with ISO 50001 for its U.K. operations. Mabbett offer both these services.
All qualifying businesses will need to appoint a Lead Assessor to confirm their compliance with ESOS, Mabbett can provide this service.
The ESOS assessment must cover all U.K. operations over a twelve month period including 31 December 2014.